Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Bestfriend's Wedding

I have waited a long time for this moment to arrive so imagine the excitement when my best friend, Joy told me about it.  I was literally jumping and screaming with delight.  I haven't seen her in a long time and I don't really know much about her anymore.  For her to ask me to be her Matron of Honor, still is a big deal for me.  I know that she already have some new set of close friends that could probably relate to her more...but best friends will always be best friends no matter what the distance.

As the wedding day drew near, I prepared myself and flew to Manila.  I am by the way living in Papua New Guinea now.  I'll only be in Manila for one short week and really have so many things to do.  First thing I did was to call her and ask if she needs me to do something for her.  She just asked me to go to the couturier and fit my gown for repair.  She also reminded me to prepare a speech for the party.  Now, this was harder than I thought.  Come wedding day, I went straight to the church where the ceremony would be.  Everybody they hold dear were there, and I was happy to be amongst the witnesses.  This was the first time I'll be meeting the groom.  I don't really know much about him.  When I saw Eric, he greeted me as if we have known each other forever.  That was a nice feeling, and I can sense some good vibes from him.  I can tell that he really is a good man, worthy of my best friend.
 


The entourage was already inside the church and getting ready to march, I still haven't seen Joy.  Finally, her car arrived and she peeped thru the slightly open window and called me.  When I saw her, my heart pounded really hard...this is the most beautiful she has ever been.  We hugged and got teary eyed, holding back tears just so we can save our make-ups.  Standing, waiting for her to make an entrance I keep telling myself that I will not cry.  But as I saw her coming near, I just couldn't help myself.  I let go of a river of tears...of happiness of course.  This was the day we have dreamed off and it turned out really well.



While we were all waiting for the newlyweds to arrive at the reception, I took the time to make my speech.  Yes, I only did it then when I had a year to prepare for it.  Anyway, I wasn't able to eat because I was anticipating that they'd call my name anytime for the speech.  A very bored crowd, two song numbers and five speeches later, they call me.  I had my piece written so I wouldn't choke but as soon as I took my place in the podium and looked at the couple, I started trembling.  I got so emotional that I was not able to read what I have prepared.  Damn those tears!  The best part though is when I was done with my speech, almost everyone was in tears and applauding.  So, I think I did a good job, and delivered a heartfelt message to them.    After all the crying comes party time! It truly was a lovely and memorable night.




No comments: