Sunday, July 03, 2005

Gateway

Weekends are dedicated for watching movies. This time around, we went to Cubao to check out the newest mall in town, Gateway. Since we hardly go there, I was amazed that I can still navigate thru the streets of Cubao. It's been months since our last visit. During the time when Alicia Keys had her concert in Araneta Coliseum, the mall was still on its finishing stage. I really like this particular mall. It may be small but the shops that I often go to are all there. I was delighted.

We ate dinner at Burgoo. We ordered Grilled Pork Chops, Grilled Chicken Americana with Angel Hair Pasta in Pomondoro sauce and the Baby Back Ribs platter with shrimps and sausages. All tasted bland! Total waste of money.

Next, it's movie time! The theater was very modern, clean and orderly. The ticketnet was overflowing with people. My only qualm is that you still have to go out of the cinema if you want to use the restroom. We watched Tom Cruise's latest movie, War of the Worlds. I was a little disappointed with the film. I guess I expected more from Spielberg and Cruise.

+ + +
Somehow, whenever I think of Cubao, the first thing that comes to mind is C.O.D. My fondest childhood memories of the Christmas season were spent watching the yearly mechanical show in front of the store. A lot has changed. The covered Fiesta Carnival is now an open park. I was not able to see the famous Gregg shoes stall, maybe it's no longer there. I didn't even know that there was such a mall called Shopwise. Overall, I think it has changed for the better.

7 comments:

Marj and Carlos said...

Hi Leslie. I have very fond memories of Cubao. My mom had a shop at Farmer's Market dati, before siya nasunog. SO when I was a kid, I was always at Cubao and I would always beg my mom to bring me to Fiesta Carnival. I love the COD Christmas display din. Parang simple joys lang dati okay na. In some way nakaka-miss. Oh well. Life goes on.

gra said...

good for marj, she's in the Philippines and can reminisce all those memories..

wow, its tough to be here all alone! hahaha.

what about u leslie? when do you expect to leave?

Yax said...

we did the same things too when we visited gateway mall a month ago, yun nga lang, u ate first before watching a movie. :D ay, u didn't like burgoo? cguro gutom lang kame nun that's why we liked the food... heheh :lol:

Nette said...

Leslie, ako rin i liked watching the Christmas display at COD, when I was little. I'm always excited when my parents say we're going there to COD. Hayy! sarap mag-reminisce.

Marj and Carlos said...

Hi Leslie. Thanks for stopping by my blog ah. Are you leaving ba? When?

Leslie said...

Hello, friends! Yax, Nette, Thanks for dropping by.

Grace and Marj: Hopefully, we'll be able to leave by Aug-Sept. Just waiting for the Visa.

gra said...

buti ka pa u get to leave with jason.. haahhaay.. sometimes i wonder if i made to right choice to go here...

although, he is fixing his papers na rin naman to come here as well.

pero it is really super LONELY. :(