Saturday, March 12, 2005

Father of the Bride

Strolling down memory lane, i found this mail . It reminded me of that special moment that transpired during our wedding, and it sent me back to tears. Read on...

Father of the Bride

I thought it would be a long walk when I marched down the aisle to give my daughter away. But it wasn't, in a flash it was over and she had passed from my care to another man's.
Yet there was no sadness to this important ocassion. I felt very proud as I walked down the long aisle. It is nice to have a beautiful girl hanging on your arm, especially when she's your daughter.

I knew no one was paying any attention to me, but i beamed just the same. and in the fleeting moments of
that walk, a whole lifetime of memories cascaded through my mind. The fat
little baby who never cried, to the tall high - strung gal with the quick
mind and the fast talk...skinned knees from roller skating ...music lessons
that didn't take...slumber parties no end... a father - daughter vacation
trip in the mountains...triumphs in school...heartbreak... the time she
dodged her father when he looked as if he, a chaperone, might dance with her
at a high schoolparty...

In a moment the ceremony was over. Here the little girl who had galloped
through my life at such a fast and exciting pace was grown and married and
gone. Her questions and appeals wouldn't be to daddy any more. But you can't
be unhappy about it when your daughter trades you off for a bright, young,
strong, ambitious new model! I was proud because she knew how to choose...

I have always believed that lives were meant to serve with, not just to
live. I just hope they remain kind and thoughtful and considerate and
useful..tolerant of all but more than that, understanding...humbleand human
but inspired, for there is so much to do, so many to be served. Then
happiness will come easily.

Yes, it was a short walk down the aisle...but at the end of it I saw a door
opened to a long new road...

-Anonymous

No comments: